Monday 2 March 2009

Benchmarks

A couple of people after my talk at FOSDEM asked me where the benchmarks were. I didn't have any partly because I didn't think there was time in the talk, partly because I didn't know what to benchmark against, and mostly because I hadn't had time to do any.

So, I've finally done some. I've benchmarked against the JDK template interpreter, because of the interest due to the recent work of Shark and Zero. The benchmarks are from SPECjvm2008. Not all of these run with GNU Classpath, and from the rest, I've selected benchmarks which should hopefully not be influenced by the different class libraries.
Note, these benchmarks are not compliant, and I am in no way publishing these results. For the record, the benchmarks were ran on an Athlon 64x2 3800+.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It would have been more interesting to see how JamVM compares to Java 1.6...

Robert Lougher said...

I didn't make it clear. The template interpreter was the one in Java 1.6, i.e. what you get if you run:

java -Xint foo

JamVM is upto 4 times faster, but it still runs between 2-10 slower then the server JIT in HotSpot.